Dr. Nandi’s father suffered from a devastating stroke in 2008 and was never the same again. Sadly, we lost him on July 18, 2017, after a near ten-year fight.
Dr. Uma Nandi was a brilliant polymer chemist, father, husband and son. Dr. Nandi held several patents for his pioneering work. He was also an amazing cook and singer, a true Renaissance man! He had a devastating stroke over 9 years ago which changed his life forever.
Without the love and advocacy of his family, and the groundbreaking treatment facilities available to him, Uma would not have lived to see the birth of his grandsons and the love of his community.
WHAT IS A STROKE?
- A stroke occurs when oxygen-rich blood flow to the brain is interrupted by a broken blood vessel or blood clot
- Stroke is the 5th leading cause of death in the US
- On average every 40 seconds someone in the US has a stroke
- Approximately 800,000 people will be affected each year
- Currently there are over 7 million stroke survivors
- Strokes can happen to anyone at any age
INCIDENCE OF STROKE
Stroke is the fifth leading cause of death in the U.S. and a leading cause of adult disability.
- 2X more women die from stroke each year compared to breast cancer.
- There was a spike of 44% in the number of young Americans hospitalized due to stroke over the last decade.
- Stroke causes the death of one in four Hispanic males and one in three Hispanic women.
- Globally stroke affects 17 million people, of these nearly 6 million die and another 5 million are disabled.
- Twice as many African Americans have strokes than Caucasians.
Where Your Money is Going
Financial Contribution is also made to The National Stroke Foundation